W-9 Help

Rent a vWorker is a USA based company, regulated by US Law.

*** ALL USA vWorkers MUST Complete a W-9 Form before making any Withdrawals ***

Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification is a U.S. form that the IRS requires for all U.S. workers, and since Rent a vWorker is a U.S. based entity, we are legally required to collect a Form W-9 for all U.S. contract freelancers. The purpose of this form is to collect important information from freelance vWorkers and affiliates for the purposes of tax reporting. The information collected on the W-9 is reported to the IRS to help keep track of taxes that contractors owe. Rent a vWorker issues a Form-1099 to all U.S. freelance, online workers or contractors that meet the required threshold. 

Although the form itself provides detailed instructions, for most the form is simply requesting the worker's name, address and social security number or tax identification number. There is a field for including a company name as well. At the end of each calendar year Rent a vWorker will issue the necessary 1099 forms for each online contractor that meets that year's reporting requirement. Copies of these 1099 forms are also sent to the IRS where they are compared to the earnings that the worker has reported.

When you submit your Form W-9 you are certifying that the social security number or Tax ID number provided is accurate. If the IRS reports back to Rent a vWorker that the social security or Tax Identification  Number are incorrect you are subject to tax withholding as instructed by the IRS and must resubmit the form. Legally Rent a vWorker must comply with any instruction provided by the IRS. If you are already subject to tax withholding, (usually in cases of outstanding federal taxes), the IRS will make backup withholding mandatory.

Your electronic signature on the Form W-9 is just as legally binding as a handwritten signature.

In summary, all U.S. online workers, freelancers, contractors, coders or alike are required to complete a Form W-9 before any withdrawals can be made from Rent a vWorker, regardless of the country in which work is obtained - this means that despite the country that your employer is located, if you are a U.S. Citizen you must complete a Form W-9 and will receive a Form-1099 if your earnings meet or exceed that year's minimum. You are a U.S. worker (and required to complete the form) if any of the following apply, you are:

  • An individual who is a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Resident Alien;
  • A partnership, corporation, company or association created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States
  • An estate (other than a foreign estate)
  • A domestic trust (as defined in U.S. tax regulations)


If you do not meet any of the criteria above you do not need to complete a W-9 Form; in fact, the W-9 form will not appear in your profile.

Please contact our support desk if you need to change the information on your W-9.

More on RentaVWorker #